In order to provide English Language Learners with extra practice in English, it is necessary to examine sites intended for English native speakers. Below is a list of sites for teachers and parents to explore for extra practice in learning English at home or in school.
Sites for Grades PreK-2
- Literacy Center.net – An early childhood language learning site. Includes French, Spanish, and German.
- Starfall.com–Reading instruction and reading games (Grades Pre-K-1). It’s hard to believe this site is free.
- ReadToday– Join the reading revolution! Teach a child to read.
- Reading is Fundamental. This site has many stories for ( Grades Pre-K-2).
- Storyplace.org –A site with online stories and activities. (Grades Pre-K-Kindergarten).
- Online Story Time This site is more for teachers but has many online stories.
- Martha Speaks. This site is good for beginning ELLs (Grades K-2).
- British Council Stories –This site has many stories that are read aloud. LearnEnglish Kids has lots of free online games, songs, stories and activities for children to have fun while learning English too. Check for spelling and pronunciation differences.
- Games on PBS Kids – Games for (Grades K-2) and “WordPlay” (Grades 3-4).
- Arthur –Sequencing activity where students hear a story and put pictures in order.
- Storyline Online –A terrific site with stories read by actors from the ScreenActors’ Guild. (Grades 1-4).
- Tumblebook Library – Click on “stories.” A large collection of stories from the Los Angeles Public Library (All grades).
- Berenstain Bears Games and Songs – Great activities for young children including word games, songs and puzzles (Grades K-2).
- Between the Lions – Reading activities-phonics, rhyming, vocabulary (Grades K-2).
Sites for Grades 3-12th
- MadLibs for Advanced Beginners (Grades 3-5).
- KidsKnowit Network – Learning videos for students (Grades 3-6).
- Reading is Fundamental Writing activities (Grades 2-5).
- Grammar Gorillas for Advanced Beginners (Grades 3-5).
- Bookhive.com –Multicultural children’s stories told by famous storytellers. Be sure to click on “Listen to a story” (Grades 2-5).
- Postcards from Buster – See Buster’s adventures from various places in the U.S. Each city has video, audio, map skills and games (Grades 3-5).
- Arthur –Games from Arthur (Grades 2-5).
- Tumblebook Library – Online stories read from the Los Angeles Public Library (All grades).
- Poetry – Examples of different types of poetry.
- Songs and Rhymes– Songs for students ( All Grades).
- Songs for ELLs with words– Learn to sing folk songs, campfire songs and group-singing songs that native English Speakers sing (Grades 2-12).
- Discover Science – Science content from Houghton Mifflin Science Series, Intermediate (Grades 5-8).
- FunBrain reading Intermediate (Grades 5-8).
- Social Studies Vocabulary Games – Vocabulary from U.S. government (Grades 3-5).
Sites for Grades 4-8
- Listening Activities – Designed for older students but pronunciation and listening activities could be used for students (Grades 4th +).
- BrainPOP ESL-Take a placement test and follow the activities
- The Story Starter, Jr. – Select a story starter (Grades 4-12).
- Brainteasers, Puzzles and Riddles – Kids’ page from the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (Grades 5-8).
- Translation Site – Students can bookmark this site to translate words from English to their native language (Grades 3-12).
- Interactive games and activities– Social Studies Games from Ben’s Guide to the U.S Government (Grades 5-8)
- Audio Comprehension – An audio concentration game (Grades 4-12).
- Homophone game – Match homophones in this concentration game (Grades 4-8).
- Movie Trailers –Listening activities using movie trailers (Grades 5-12).
- Vocabulary -Interesting things for ESL students, a collection of vocabulary games (Grades 6-12).
Downloads: Tri-fold double sided Book List Brochures for parents and teachers
- Read-Aloud Picture Books: Infants to Toddlers -Synopses of 13 recommended books for this age group
- Read-Aloud Picture Books: for Preschoolers-Synopses of 13 recommended books for this age group
- Classic Picture Books Every Child Should Experience-Synopses of 15 classic tales
- History Through Picture Books -Synopses of excellent historical picture books
- Great Read-Aloud Picture Books for Upper Primary-13 entertaining and discussion-provoking titles
- Kindergarten-Chapter Books-Bridging the gap between picture books and novels